Duane S. Horning
Mr. Horning focuses on resolving disputes concerning intellectual property, commercial and investment real estate, trusts and estates, and business matters.
Results for his clients include jury trial verdicts of $19.8 million and $1.5 million, an arbitration award of $1.6 million, a mediated settlement of $3.5 million, summary judgment of $1.6 million, and complete defense of patent and trademark claims by summary judgment in federal court. He has never lost an arbitration.
Mr. Horning practiced for eight years at the firm known then as Gray Cary Ware & Freidenrich LLP, a predecessor of DLA Piper LLP (US). He founded California Business Law Group, PC in 2002.
Mr. Horning is an Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of San Diego School of Law where he has been teaching since 2006. He currently teaches Real Property Transactions, and an Experiential Advocacy practicum.
Mr. Horning graduated with high honors from University of San Diego School of Law in 1994. He attended at law school at night while working full time for the Port of San Diego handling commercial waterfront and airport lease matters, and as acting Airport Manager for San Diego International Airport, Lindbergh Field.
Mr. Horning’s law career follows 14 years’ experience in business, real estate and government. Before practicing law, Mr. Horning was a commercial real estate broker and developer in Phoenix, Arizona. He served as CFO and Vice President for Finance during the initial public offering of Sunrise Preschools, Inc., a regional preschool chain.
Ukraine and children there who are displaced by abuse is a special interest of Mr. Horning’s. He has traveled and spoken there numerous times, including during the seminal elections of May 2014 following revolution in that country. He is the lead author of Rescuing Ukrainian Children. He has lectured at the American Common Law Center at Taras Shevchenko University,
Kiev, Ukraine, the Christian Legal Society National Conference, and San Diego County Bar Association.
Mr. Horning loves camping and hiking, and is an avid sailor, keyboardist and photographer.
Current and Former Community Memberships and Activities
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers (ABTL)
- Bench Bar Coalition
- California Lawyers Association
- Christian Legal Society, Vice President, San Diego Chapter
- Faith Community Church
- Federal Bar Association
- Harbor Sailboats Sailing Club
- Horizon University, Chair of the Board of Trustees
- Louis M. Welsh Inn of Court
- ProVisors, San Diego
- Rotary International, Downtown San Diego Breakfast Club, Co-Chair, Community Services
- San Diego County Bar Association, Director, Vice President, Treasurer and Chair of the Real Property Section
- San Diego Intellectual Property Law Association
- San Diego Interfaith Housing Foundation, Board Member, Development Committee
- San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce, Chair of the Legal Committee, Co-Chair of the Housing Committee
- San Diego Superior Court Court Appointed Referee and Judge Pro-Tem
- San Diego Volunteer Lawyer Program, Distinguished Service Award for pro bono service
- University of San Diego School of Law, Adjunct Law Professor, Real Property Transactions and Experiential Advoacy
- J.D. - University of San Diego School of Law, 1994
Order of the Coif, Member of the San Diego Law Review, magna cum laude
- B.S. - Arizona State University, 1981
Finance, cum laude
Admitted to Practice
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court, Central District of California
- United States District Court, Southern District of California
- California Supreme Court
- California Courts of Appeal, all Districts
- California Superior Courts, all Counties